Monday, October 25, 2010

The Candlelight Cafe


I was first told about the Candlelight Cafe last year by an third year German student who said that he used to go there with his friends and that he was worried that it might close. I had seen it before. The bar was the first place I noticed upon my fresh arrival upon the PSU campus a year ago, staying in the University Place hotel with my parents. I have heard a little about it from passersby and know that it's an old bar, a relic of the old blues cafes that I'm sure used to be more numerous. I know they still have bands, Portland's top blues and jazz acts, that play there from time to time.

My attempt to find an interview was unsuccessful, though. This has a lot to do with the fact that I am not allowed in bars. I hung around outside for a little while to see if I could catch anyone outside, but I was met with bad luck.

So for my supply of anecdotal evidence I'm left with my conversation in a German class during last year's spring term.


by victoria flick

No comments:

Post a Comment